On mission trips there are needs surrounding you at every moment. Needs of the people you are there to minister to. Needs of the missionaries, families, and staff you are in country supporting and assisting. Needs of your own team. It is a great burden and responsibility. It also a wonderful opportunity to experience incomprehensible joy. Much like motherhood.
Mom, won’t you join us for a few funny (and genuine) reasons why you should spend time in the mission field and on short term mission trips. So here we go…
5. The newborn phase already taught you how to survive without a shower.
4. You automatically count the number of your people who are on the bus/car/truck/motorcycle.
3. You don’t whine much because no one at home is listening anyway.
2. You’re used to carrying your body weight in diaper bags, toys, equipment, and children.
1. You’re an amazingly efficient packer when packing for four people, there’s no telling how efficient you could be only packing for one.
Truthfully, consider these:
5. You’re family will survive without you. They need the chance to take over some of your responsibilities.
4. You have been inherently gifted to give your heart to those around you in the way God specifically created a woman to love. You have been given little blessings on whom to perpetually practice this skill.
3. Being a mom has uniquely sharpened your ability for your heart to break without your Spirit breaking. Being resilient is a God given trait. I’m pretty sure it appears in the dictionary with mother.
2. Because of your experience, an experience resulting in a practical and powerful faith, you will be able to minister to other wives and moms in ways single ladies or men will never know.
1. We can’t JUST tell our kids that Jesus said Go into all the World and preach the Gospel……
Moms have a lot of GREAT reasons not to go. We have a great calling here in our homes and jobs, but that does not cancel our other callings. My children NEED me but they need Jesus MORE. And they also need to understand there are kids and moms around the globe who need Jesus even more than my kids need me.
In a few short days, You can invest in and make an eternal impact on families in a far away place. Then with renewed vision, strength, and perspective you fly home and continue to invest in your family.
SERIOUSLY! Prayerfully consider joining us for a trip soon. From one mom to another, I can’t wait to go again.